Thursday, October 18, 2012

Choices & Decisions

When I was released from my contract with the active duty Air Force, I had a few options available if I still wanted to join the military. I had already decided against the Army, while the Marine Corps, and Coast Guard never interested me. If I still wanted to go active duty military that left the US Navy. Aside from that, the California Air National Guard and the Air Force Reserve were also viable choices.

There were some things the Navy had to offer which were attractive. Unlike the Air Force, the Navy allows you to choose your job and they don't have a restriction on your income/debt ratio. I was also told by the recruiter that after you finish A-school, which is your initial job training, you get some choice as to where you will be stationed based upon your academic performance. I'm an Air Force brat, but my Grandfather served in the Navy so I would still be keeping my military service in the family.

The Air Guard and the Air Force Reserve are both part time options, but I would still be in the Air Force and would have the option of switching over to Active Duty once I paid down my loans. After talking with all three recruiters, and giving the situation some thought and prayer I decided to join the Air Force Reserve.

The Reserve and Guard both were offering me some of the same jobs but since the Reserve are Federally funded they had deeper pockets. Plus the Reserve unit is bigger and more active than the Guard so I'm likely to get more experience.

Once the decision was made, I called back the local Reserve recruiter and set up a second meeting to formally switch over. It was a much easier process the second time around as I didn't have to start the process over. In order to get together the necessary items that were already complete the reserve recruiter talked with the active duty recruiter I had been working with, as well as the people at MEPS.

On 30 May 2012, I made my way to the Recruiter's office and enlisted in the Air Force Reserve. As I was switching over, I had to sign a new contract and once again take the oath of enlistment. As the oath has to be administered by an officer, the recruiter called in a gentleman who was a retired Army Warrant Officer to do the honors. Once all that was completed, I was officially a member of the US Air Force Reserve. I am assigned to the 349th Air Mobility Wing based out of Travis AFB.




No comments:

Post a Comment